I always wanted a good wholemeal bread recipe in my cookbook so I have added my total favourite to the website. Super easy to achieve that warm healthy loaf, and that smell, Oh My Days! Making bread has always been something I have enjoyed. I remember waking up on 5 am shifts to work stacking bread. I guess that warm soft smell of a good loaf will always be in my heart, maybe not the 5 am starts though!
So obviously I am going to include some information around brown bread here so you can find out all the facts. You can of course click the skip to printable recipe too or find out more from our: Soups & Light Bites | Mains | Desserts | Guest Recipes
Jump to Recipe
All About Bread and The Recipe
Wholemeal bread is a type of bread made using flour that milled from whole or almost-whole wheat grains, It is one kind of brown bread. Some varieties of whole-wheat bread are traditionally coated with whole or cracked grains of wheat, though this is mostly decorative compared to the nutritional value of a good quality loaf itself.
The bran in wholemeal flour reduces the effectiveness of the gluten during bread making meaning that wholemeal bread dough will not rise as much as white bread dough. The outcome is that wholemeal bread has a denser, moist texture and has less spring to it than white bread.
Using a proportion of White Strong Bread Flour or Very Strong White Bread Flour with the wholemeal flour to make it a little lighter. The bran element of the wholemeal flour also absorbs a lot of liquid. So, add a bit more liquid than in your standard white recipe to ensure that there is a sufficient amount remaining in the mix to work with the other ingredients to produce pliable dough to knead.
Typical Nutritional Information
|TYPICAL VALUES||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||0.5g|
|of which sugars||0.7g|
👨🍳Homecooking | Baking | Recipe Sharing
🧔Dad to 3
📍 N.Wales UK 🇬🇧🏴
Fancy a feature on the Instacooks Cookbook? It really is super simple. We are always on the hunt to bring new and exciting recipes to our readers. Give us a message on any of the following: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter@mrjayhomecook
The Printable Wholemeal Bread Recipe
Wholemeal Bread Recipe
- 400 g Very strong wholemeal bread flour
- 100 g Strong white bread flour
- 7 g Easy-bake yeast sachet
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 50 g melted butter
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 300 ml/½ pint hand-warm water
- Mix the flours, yeast and salt in a big bowl. Mix together the melted butter, sugar and water, then mix in with a cutlery knife.
- Tip onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes (or use the dough hook attachment on your mixer).
- Lightly grease the mixing bowl with some oil. Put the dough back in, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size – about 2 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- Knock back the dough by gently kneading just 5 times to get the air out. Mould into a smooth oval and lift into a lightly oiled 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Cover the dough again with a clean tea towel and leave to prove until doubled in size again. Preheat your oven to 200°C : 180°C fan : gas mark 6.
- Lift the tin onto the middle oven shelf and bake for 35-40 minutes, until you can lift the bread loaf from the tin and when you tap the base it sounds hollow. Cool on a wire rack.
Want to know when the latest recipes are hitting the site? Simply add your email address and hit that subscribe button! Thank You For Visiting.