Pea Soup is another classic recipe from my favourite soups. I seem to always say how simple a recipe is at the start, no exception here, it really is a simple fresh soup. We should all have frozen peas in the freezer right?
What is Pea soup
Pea soup or split pea is a soup made typically from dried peas, such as the split pea or the classic garden pea. We are going to be using frozen peas to create a classic today because goodness me its tasty, simple and above everything else its fast to make.
Pea soup and its time in history
Such a classic soup and it has been around for some time. A really time actually, dating back to 500 to 400 BC. During that era, vendors in the streets of Athens were selling hot pea Soup.
The garden pea & frozen pea benefits
In the 1600’s Eating fresh “garden” peas before they were matured was a luxurious innovation. We can get luxurious pea Soup from the frozen aisle today and its super fresh. In fact due to being peas being frozen within 2 hours of harvesting frozen is the way to go for ultimate freshness.
The Soupy variations
You can add a great number of things to peas and you know its going to be delicious. It doesn’t have to be difficult to spice up your soup too! Keeping the base recipe below the same you could simply try these combos;
Pea & Ham Soup
using the same recipe below stir in 300 g chopped ham to finish.
Pea Ham & Chopped Bacon Soup
Again keeping the soup recipe the same, using 6 slices of streaky bacon grill until crispy. Chopped with a knife and scatter on the soups to finish along with 150 g of chopped ham
If you are looking to keep it vegetarian you can totally still enjoy the soup, the recipe I use has chicken stock in but swap this for vegetable stock and hey presto it’s a meat free paradise. Perfect for your next meat-free Monday.
Tools of the trade
If you are looking for a soup maker then I can totally recommend the Instant Pot Duo V2 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker. It makes a rocking soup and its 7 in 1 so you know you can do so much more than just smash soups out of the park. Have a look and see what you think.
- 500 g frozen peas
- 30 g butter
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- Sea Salt Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful of rocket salad
- Add the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil into a large saucepan and turn onto a medium heat. Once the butter has melted add the chopped onions and cook. Stirling occasional until soft but not coloured around 6 - 8 minuets.
- Tip the frozen peas into the pan of softened shallots followed by the stock and bring to the boil. As soon as its boiling remove from the heat. This will keep the colour of the peas. Blitz until smooth using either a hand blender or transferring to a blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to warm bowls to serve,
- Garnish with a rocket salad.
To Conclude The Food
This really is one of the fastest soups I make. A delicious way to get a soupy fix and from the freezer too! If you want another green soup check out my Leeks, Potatoes and Onions soup! Totally rocking the soups this week.