Each year the UK consumes over 13 million eggs!! I don’t know how many chickens that is but I’m guessing its a fair few! When I get into conversations with people around eggs the one thing that comes up a lot of the times is poaching.
To make poached eggs your simply cooking the egg in water. Not complicated right? Well no not when we put it like that but yet it took me many attempts to get right. Once you have the winning formula you wont be wasting time trying to cook one egg at a time or swirling water around a pan.
For me poaching eggs is no different to frying! It’s almost the exact same except you are replacing a fat (oil) for water, obviously reaping the health rewards in return.
The Steps To A Perfect Poached Egg
Firstly we need to look at the tools of the trade. A Frying Pan with a lid – The most important thing here! a deep based frying pan with a lid. Once we have a deep frying pan with a lid all we now need is some water and eggs!.. Okay maybe a spatula to get the egg out of the water but you can guess where i’m going? We need no fancy gadgets! Let’s look at the steps.
- Fill the frying pan 5 cm deep with boiling water
- Place on the hob and bring to a rapid boil Lightly Salt The Water
- Eggs at the ready. Turn the Heat on the hob to the lowest setting
- Crack the eggs one at a time into the water and instantly put the lid on
- Set timer for 2 mins
- After 2 mins remove the lid and check the eggs.
- If they need another min spoon hot water over the top.
- Remove and drain
- Top with sea salt & Black pepper
Follow those steps and every time you will be hitting a winning egg breakfast. I have included my printable recipe as with every recipe blog but the key points are: Water to the boil | Heat on low | Crack Eggs | Lid on | 2 mins.
The Printable Poached Eggs
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 spray balsamic vineger See End Note
- 1 Sprinkle Sea Salt
- 1 Sprinkle Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Sprinkle Dried Chilli Flakes For The Heat
- Using a frying pan with a lid fill around 5 cm deep with hot water and bring to a rolling boil on a high heat. Add Salt and a spray of balsamic vinegar
- Once the pan is boiling rapidly get your eggs at the ready. Turn the heat down to 1 and straight away add your eggs, You can crack them straight into the water or into a cup first and poured into the water.
- As soon as the eggs are in lid on and give it 2 mins. Lid off and the eggs will all be perfectly cooked or may need just another min. Have a spoon to hand if any of the tops need a bit more cooking spoon water over the top.
- Remove the cooked eggs using a slotted spatular and drain on a plate and bravo your eggs are done.
- Ensure the excess water if off the eggs then sprinkle the tops with Sea Salt, Pepper and a few Chilli flakes! delicious!
To Conclude The Food
It took me ages to get poached eggs right. I must have watched a million YouTube Videos and finally this is the one that works for me. Happy Poaching & Thanks For Reading