Chocolate chip cookies are always going to be a straight up winner in my house. The kids go wild, I go wild and the wife complains about the diet implications. We can’t all be happy right? If you are looking for a real easy way to get your cookie fix then you have totally come to the right place!
A cookie starts with a dough composed of butter, brown & white sugar, semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla. Variations on the recipe may add different chocolate as well as additional ingredients such as nuts and oatmeal.
There are also vegan versions with ingredient substitutions. Some subs would be vegan chocolate chips, vegan margarine & egg substitute. A double chocolate chip cookie uses dough that is flavoured with chocolate before adding the chocolate chips. To triple it add some white chocolate chips too!
The recipe for the cookies is super simple and speedy. While my below is my basic cookie recipe remember adding more chocolate chunks is totally rock and roll and no one is going to complain. Another good tip here is to experiment with chocolate bars. I usually pick a yummy looking chocolate bar and cut it into the chunks rather than buying the chips. Its cheaper and you get to pick the chocolate.
Once you have the recipe below down you can always make giant cookies in the cast iron. So simple just use the recipe below and pack into your cast iron and bake until golden on the top.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 125 g butter softened
- 100 g light brown soft sugar
- 125 g caster sugar
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 g chocolate chips or 100g white 100g milk
- Pre heat Oven 180°
- Mix the butter and sugars until just combined, add the egg, vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the flour & salt and stir until you get a sticky cookie dough. Add in the chunks of chocolate and mix through.
- Using a heaped table spoon either place directly onto a greased paper lined tray or if you don't mind the mess using your hands roll into small balls until you have 16-18.
- Bake at 180° for 8 to 12 mins until just slightly golden on the edges, the lower the time the More gooey the cookie.