Cast Iron Skillet cooking is one of my favourite ways to cook. Here we have a collection of recipes and some of our best buys. We will also include some of our top tips for maintaining your cookware too. Super awesome times ahead! If you have a great recipe to share don’t forget to let me know.
Drop me a message on Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Here we really have a one pan wonder! Cast Iron Skillets Generate Heat Evenly. … Even heating means that Meat will Sear Better and vegetables cook faster. This will all happen evenly without having to constantly manage the heat source or rotate pans in the oven.
Cast Iron is ideal for frying and baking because it holds and distributes heat so well. Also one of the main benefits I find is the ability to go from the Hob to the Oven with one pan. The cottage pie recipe is a perfect example, from hob to oven. Not having a dishwasher at the time of writing the main aim is always to reduce the washing up.
The Recipes Featuring Cast Iron
Maintain Your Cookware
Keeping a Cast Iron Skillet maintained doesn’t have to be as difficult as you may think. I avoided the Iron skillet way of cooking for a long time because I was afraid of the clean and maintain process. Really it is super simple.
All you need to do is use your pan. Each time you cook in it with some type of fat, you’ll be laying down more seasoning. Once you’ve got a good layer of seasoning built up, you can even use your cast iron pan for acidic foods, like tomatoes and pan sauces, without worry. Simply wipe clean any excess oil out as it cools. If you want to know how to fully season a pan I have included the steps below
Seasoning from Scratch
To season a cast iron pan means to create a slick and glassy coating by baking on multiple thin coats of oil. This will protect the cast iron pan from getting rusted and makes for a non-stick cooking surface.
- Wash and Dry
Give the pan a good scrub with warm, soapy water, then dry. Even after towel-drying, some surface moisture may remain, so add the pan onto the hob and heat for a minute or two to drive off any excess water
- Rub the oil all over, then buff
Using cooking oil rub it all over, inside and out—including the handle. You can use almost any cooking fats: Vegetable, sunflower, canola, and corn oil. Once rubbed then buff it until that the pan no longer looks even the slightest bit greasy. It is a bit of elbow work but doing this will ensure no oil left on the surface. It would turn sticky if left unused for a few days.
- Heat It in the Oven
Put the oiled pan in a preheated 450°F oven, and leave it there for 30 minutes. It may get a little smoky, so keep your kitchen well ventilated.
- Repeat Steps 3-4
When the half hour is up, take the pan out. (Remember: It’s hot!) Now rub it once more all over with the oil, buffing it out as before. Then put it back in the oven for another 30-minute spell. All in all, you’ll want to do this oiling-and-heating process three to four times, to set down a good initial layer of your own seasoning. Once you’re done, just let the pan cool down. It’s now ready for cooking.
Shopping & More
To Help you find your new kitchen addition I have include some links to my favourites on amazon. Have a look and see what you think.
Cast Iron Kitchen Pan Set Cookware Oven Proof Skillet Pan & Casserole Dishes with Self Basting Lids by Cooks Professional (Orange)
- Set of 3; Comes with a casserole dish, shallow casserole dish and skillet pan
- Versatile; Available in 6 colours to suit your preference
- Durable; Made from strong and durable cast iron
- Traditional design; Add a touch of traditional cookware to your kitchen
- Guarantee; 12-month guarantee
- 23cm surface which is perfect for frying and sauteing
- Absorbs and spreads heat evenly, with excellent heat retention
- Can be used on any heat source, including induction
- Black enamel interior coating is durable, hygienic and easy to clean
- Lifetime guarantee
- Flat based frying pan with shallow sloping sides
Versatile Heavy-Duty Large 12 inch / 30cm Cast Iron Round Skillet Frying Pan by Euphoric Cookware ® HEAVY WEIGHT (3.7Kg)
- VERY VERSATILE CAST IRON FRYING PAN SKILLET – Fry, Roast, Sear, Grill, Oven cook, Bake, Braise, Broil, Sauté, Flambé – Even Cook a Pizza! Large enough for family cooking and could easily fit a large T-bone steak. 12″ diameter with subtly designed dual pouring spouts. Features an assist handle to aid balanced lifting and moving. Can be wall hung.
- THIS DEEP SKILLET PAN WILL CONTAIN SPLATTERING AND FACILITATES POURING – The Heavy gauge body has super heat-retention properties, This Skillet is warp-resistant and durable. Professional Chef Grade Cookware.
- PREMIUM HEAVY WEIGHT SKILLET (3.7KG) – For Professional Chefs or Food Lovers alike. This piece of Premium Cookware can last for over 100 years if care instructions (included) are followed. Premium Quality Guaranteed.
- SUITABLE FOR USE ON – Gas, Electric, Ceramic and Induction hobs, as well as in the oven, on the stove, under the grill and on barbecues/campfires. Compatible with metal, wood and silicone utensils.
- CLEAN VIA HAND WASHING – This Skillet needs to be seasoned after use – A simple process – instructions included. Never transfer a very hot cast iron pan from hob/oven into a sink of water. Always allow it time to cool first.
Want your product featured? Let me know.