The Cheese Toastie is one of my most favourite things to create in the kitchen, even though we are talking simple here you can still elevate these to a whole new world of greatness! But let’s first answer; What is a cheese toastie?
A Cheese Toastie is essentially cheese sandwiched between 2 pieces of toasted bread…. I told you it was simple right? But don’t panic we have 5 ways to take your toastie to greatness levels and beyond.
Jump to Recipe
If you are looking for more recipes you can click the following: Soups & Light Bites | Mains | Desserts | Guest Recipes Of course a cheese toastie can be taken up to a whole new world when adding scrambled eggs! So so good.
Cheese Toastie Greatness Explained
So lets drill down a touch into some of the items that will be handy when going through this list. You may know that I am a total fan of keeping things simple and cost-effective in the kitchen. Certainly isn’t every delightful gadget under the sun in my kitchen so no fancy toastie making appliances are used!
Of course if you are blessed with such devices then don’t incorporate them by all means do, but for this all you need is a good non stick frying pan and a grill….. You will also need a Knife, Cheese Grater, Chopping Board and the Will to believe you can create Greatness.
I will start the list with how to make the basic cheese toastie and will end with the ultimate Recipe for the king Cheese Toastie!!!! Enjoy
A last Top Tip before we get under way. Always add the cheese when the bread is in the pan, the excess cheese that falls inside the pan can then be mopped up by moving the toastie around as it cooks. It really does make everything so much better.
1) Making A Basic Cheese Toastie
A standard cheese toastie would involve heating a Non Stick frying pan on a med to high heat. Once heated add a slice of bread and grate the cheese on top. If you do this over the pan you will get some excess cheese which is Fantastic, that cheese will melt away and create those dream crispy bites at the end. Once you have gone wild with the cheese let’s get seasoning. A good grind of sea salt & black pepper and a splash of Worcester sauce. Top Slice of bread on and move the toastie around the pan moping up any of that excess cheese.
Next its a case of checking the bottom is toastie and when it is flip it over and cook on the other side for another couple of mins. Lift from the pan and cut diagonally. Its been proven by the worlds leading scientist that toasties cut diagonal taste better. and serve. So simple right? Lets Look at what we can do to elevate them further.
2) Seasoning The Toastie Will Win Awards
They say salt & pepper are the seasoning of life right? Well we agree! To make your perfect toastie you really do need to ensure you have a few staple items in. You can find a bigger list on my essential cupboard series but for most of the ways described we only need salt pepper and Worcestershire sauce. These items alone will take even the standard cheese toastie up a level.
Your choice of Herbs & Spices are endless too! As you will see in the Greatest Cheese Toastie ever recipe the appearance of Cayenne Pepper & Paprika bring that welcoming touch of heat to the Cheese Crown. Chives!! Oh my goodness I nearly left without shouting up about chives, Yeah they are awesome.
3) Reach For The Chef Hat, It’s Up A Level
The obvious is done guys we made through the simple stages and now we are thinking top-level! What can we do? How about we fill that toastie up with the most delicious fillings. I have a few winning combinations here that are tried and tested in the hunt for toastie family joy! You can go as wild as you like here because hey its your dream!
The List here if you were to add all at once then you would be my hero because that is totally what I would do too! However use restraint and perhaps find a little combo that works well and roll with it.
- Onions: Finely Diced Onions added with the cheese. Think about it Cheese & Onion how rocking is that?
- Sausages: A classic combination here! Cook your sausages separate, Slice and arrange on the cheese and top.
- Bacon: Need I say more? Put some bacon on and live the dream my friends!
- Different Cheese: Sounds obvious but try adding 4 different types of cheese and see the light.
- Beans: Baked Beans Baby! Spoon them in too! going crazy right?
- Eggs: Be it scrambled, fried or poached add some eggs for sure!
4) One Last Step To Greatness
The Cheese Crown! The mighty topping to my ultimate cheese toastie is a super crispy cheese crown. Now I could lie here and take the credit for this as my name is Jamie but no I couldn’t do such a thing. The idea for a cheese crown came from the legendary Jamie Oliver.
To make a cheese crown Mr Oliver has done a winning job on his YouTube video so be sure to have a little watch, BUT REMEMBER come back to this Jamie please! Let’s be honest which one is more likely to respond to you on Instagram?
Essentially for those who stuck with me and didn’t head to the video to make the cheese crown you want to get the pan on a med to high setting and grate the cheese directly onto the pan, SEASONING! It’s in caps to highlight the importance of adding a nice sprinkle of Cayenne pepper and paprika. Then add the toastie into the pan onto the cheese and wait until the edges crisp up. Lift up with a spatula and hold for about 30 seconds until the cheese is formed in the shape of a crown and bravo you got it! Here you have my Cheese Crown tiger Bread.
5) We Made It The Ultimate Cheese Toastie Recipe
We are here! My ultimate recipe to guarantee you greatness in the kitchen when it comes to the world of the toastie! Super excited! So remember you could mix the fillings here, non of my recipes are set in stone You can be super experimental. Every recipe that I have found along the way have become mixed mashed and changed. The more we can adventure with food the more we find tastes amazing!
So down bellow my recipe also includes the poached egg recipe! I will be writing a nice little piece on the joys of eggs. BTW If you are reading that and not seeing a link it means i haven’t got around to it yet! Thanks for your patience!
The Greatest Cheese Toastie
- 1 cup of grated cheddar
- 1 cup of red Leicester cheese
- 5 g Parmesan
- 2 sausages
- 1 egg
- small tin of baked beans
- salt pepper
- chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 slices of bread
- First cook the sausages until browned either under the grill or by frying. Once they are cooked allow to cool and cut in half.
- Heat a large frying pan on a med-high heat then add a slice of bread. Add half a cup of each cheese and all of the Parmesan. Arrange the cooked sausages and season with salt & Pepper. Add the top slice of bread. Press down.
- Cook For 1-2 mins and then turn. Once Toastie on both sides remove from heat and place on a plate.
- In a second frying pan fill with boiling water and bring to a rolling boil on a high heat. Add salt and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Crack in the egg and put the lid on. After around 2 mins take the lid off and check the egg is cooked, spoon water over if the top needs a little help. remove and drain on paper towels or a plate. Mean-while cook beans according to packed
- By now all the egg should be drying the toastie resting on a plate. Heat the frying pan used for the toastie on a med high heat. Add the remaining cheese, as it bubbles sprinkle the Cayenne and paprika then place the cheese toastie onto the cheese. When the edges crisp up lift using a spatula to create the crown
- While holding the crown up have a plate ready and put on top of the toastie to flip it back around.
- To assemble cut the toastie diagonally spoon over the baked beans and top with egg topped with salt, black pepper & Chilli Flakes
To Conclude The Food
Well we got there! Cheese Greatness. Tastes amazing right? Well thank you so much for reading the recipe and it would be awesome if you share your Cheese Toasties on the wonderful world of Instagram! If you do create a winning Toastie let me know about it! Have a Great day all.
Want to know when the latest recipes are hitting the site? Simply add your email address and hit that subscribe button! Thank You For Visiting.